The Greater Birmingham Disciples of Christ (GBDC) is a fellowship of believers totally committed to transforming ourselves, our families, and our community through being true disciples of Christ and loving Him with all of our heart, mind, soul, and strength. Jesus is lord of our lives and by freely surrendering to Him, we learn to unlock the power of personal discipleship. Our mission:“To Love the Saved and Save the Lost”.
Kingdom Kids: We are so proud of our children’s ministry. We have a fun and inspirational children’s curriculum and devoted and spiritual volunteers who provide instruction for children infant –fifth grade during services. While the adults are worshipping God, so are our kids and they are learning a Godly foundation that will serve them for the rest of their lives. It is common for children to enjoy class so much that they are literally begging their parents to bring them to church.
Community Service: We are devoted to helping the community through a variety of community service projects and a creative membership that is constantly looking for new ways to serve. We believe that we must follow Christ’s example of service, laying down our lives so that people can see our faith in action.
Youth Ministry: We have exciting teen and pre-teen ministries that help our youth to find God and develop Godly character.
Campus Ministry: With students at UAB, Jefferson State, and Samford we have a small but dedicated campus ministry composed of young men and women dedicated to changing the world.
Foreign Missions: We are devoted to the great commission and support mission work both foreign and domestic.What Christ has given us, we freely give.
· We Are Going Back to the Beginning(Mark 7:1-8) and embracing a spirit of restoration. Every conviction and methodology is being examined as we look at each one and ask the questions: Is it Biblical? Is it effective? Our vow is to be, “Out of the box but inside the book”. This means that we are shattering the box of tradition and are open to anything and everything that will help us to be our best but we will never go outside of the Bible. We will follow the word of God above all.
· We Are TakingOur Mission Statement Seriously: Inspired by(Mt 28:18-20), our mission statement is,“To Love the Saved and Save the Lost”. This is why we are here. We will be a family devoted to proclaiming the gospel to all of Birmingham, Alabama, and the world in our lifetimes. We will pursue any means necessary, witnessing publicly and house to house (Acts 20:20), including small groups, personal evangelism, individual studies, door knocking, church plantings, billboards, direct mailing, newspapers, radio, TV, Twitter, Facebook, internet programming…anything and everything!
· We are Serious About the One Another Scriptures(Proverbs 18:24): Prayer partners, discipling partners, P.I.G.s (Partners in the Gospel), close spiritual friendships, small groups, or one on one, whatever you want to call it, however you want to do it, we’re all in.
· We Are Truly Non-denominational(Ephesians 4:4-6): It is our conviction that it’s not about who’s right but what’s right. God doesn’t deal with brand names. A person is either a true disciple of Christ or he/she is not. We accept every true disciple as our brother or sister and we will partner with any like-minded group of disciples to evangelize the world.
· We Will BeGrace Driven(Ephesians 2:8-10): Our motivation will be inside out not outside in!
· We Will Live By Faith Not Fear(Matthew 14:22-33): People ask the question, “What happens if you fail?” Failure is not an option. We’re on Christ’s team and we already know the result: We win. Will we make mistakes? Absolutely. We will make big, bold, messy mistakes and when we do, we will dust ourselves off, inquire God, and try again. By faith we will walk on water but you cannot walk on water if you are afraid to get out of the boat.
To learn more, come and see for yourself what God is doing at the GBDC. Hope to see you soon.
Frank B. Davis,Demond Hawthorne, Tony Turner, and Sam McDonald
(The GBDCLeadership Team)